Contrec 214D Batch Controller is designed for flow applications where the precise control of batch quantities is required. Batch Total, Accumulated Total, and Preset Values can all be displayed on the large LCD display. The 214D is a high accuracy, intrinsically safe Batch Controller designed to operate with digital output flowmeters. Having an IP67 weatherproof case, new tactile keyboard, and various mounting options, the 214D is perfect for the most arduous of installations.
For hazardous area applications, the 214D is an intrinsically safe version with both ATEX approval, and CSA approval covering both the USA and Canada. The 214D has an input conditioning circuit that will accept pulse or frequency flow signals generated by the turbine, positive displacement, paddlewheel, or other flowmeters. Configurable link positions enable the input circuit to be configured for the different signal types.
Contrec 214D Batch Controller Features
- Displays Batch Total, Accumulated Total and Preset
- One or Two Stage Valve Control
- Fully Programmable
- ATEX Class 1, Zone 1 Approved
- Watertight to IP67 (Nema 4X)
- Wall, Pipe and Panel Mounting
- ATEX, IECEx, CSA Approved
- CE Compliant
DC Powered with Battery Backup
The 214D will operate from an external power source between 9 and 28 Volts and draws no more than 4mA. Lithium batteries provide backup if the DC power is interrupted so that totals are not lost. The solenoids or sensors, however, may still require external power. Solid-state outputs provide control to solenoids and relays and can sync up to 200mA.
Watertight Field Mounting Enclosure
The 214D Rate Totaliser is housed in a rugged yet attractive IP67 (Nema 4X) rated polycarbonate enclosure which is completely watertight. A special universal bracket, supplied as standard, enables the instrument to be wall mounted. A 51mm (2”) pipe mounting bracket is also available as are bottom and rear mounting stems for mounting the 214D directly on turbine flowmeters which have a 1” NPT or BSP boss.
Fully User Programmable
K-factor, decimal point positions, valve delays and signal timeouts are fully user programmable. The Signal Timeout feature, if programmed, will automatically stop the batch if the flow signal cuts out midway through a batch. Contrec’s unique magnet access strip allows the 202D to be re-configured in hazardous areas without opening the enclosure. A great benefit in reducing production shutdown periods and improving maintenance efficiency times.
One or Two Stage Valve Control
Two solid-state relays are provided which can be set up to control a single or a two-stage valve with slow stop and/or slow start. Alternatively, the second output can be used to control a pump. The first output will energize at the start of the batch, and de-energize when the batch is complete. The second output can be programmed to energize at a delayed start time after the batch start (0 to 9 seconds delay), and to de-energize at a pre-stop quantity prior to completion of the batch. This feature enables a slow startup and slow shutdown of the flow.
The unique 3 key operation of the 214D simplifies operation and enables batches to be controlled quickly and efficiently.
The 214D is certified as intrinsically safe to European ATEX/IECEx standards, and CSA US/C standards for both the USA and Canada, see specification for details.
Contrec 214D Batch Controller Flowmeter Input
The 214D will connect directly to a turbine or paddlewheel with a certified IS coil or other certified IS devices that produce a pulse output, provided they do not produce a voltage, current or power that exceeds :
Ui = 24V, Ii = 20mA, Pi = 320mW
The maximum allowed capacitance and inductance of the pulser or coil, including cabling, is limited to:
Cext = 60uF, Lext = 1.5H
Output parameters on the input are:
Uo = 10.0V, Io = 9.0mA
*Note that devices such as reed switches, which can be classed as “Simple Apparatus” as defined in EN50020, may be connected to the 214D without additional certification.
Contrec 214D Batch Controller Specifications
- Type: LCD display
- Batch Total: 7 digit 10mm (0.4”) high LCD (continuously powered). *Note: The Accumulated Total is displayed when the ACCUM TOT key is pressed
- Preset: 5 digit 8.5mm (0.33”) high LCD (continuously powered)
- K-factor Range: The pulses per unit of measure (eg. pulses/ gallon) is programmable in the range of 0.0001 to 999,999
- Decimal Points: Fully programmable for Total
- Frequency Range: 0Hz to 10kHz
- Signal Type: Link settable for sine wave (15mV P-P minimum), open collector, reed switch or pulse
- Interference: CE compliance
- DC Power Input: 9-28V @ 4mA maximum
- Operating Temperature: –20 to +60°C, –4 to +140°F
- Protection: IP67 (Nema 4X) watertight
- Cable Entry: By cable glands
- Materials: Polycarbonate and ABS
- Wall: Universal wall mounting bracket
- Pipe: A galvanized metal bracket enables the 214D to be attached to a 51mm (2”) vertical or horizontal pipe
- Panel: Two mounting brackets supplied Turbine Meter: Bottom and rear mounting stems are available for mounting the 214D directly on turbine flowmeters which have a 1” NPT or BSP boss
- Type: 2 x Lithium battery packs
- Function: The batteries will provide backup power for the instrument if no DC power is available. The batteries will not power the sensor (if power is required) or solenoid outputs
- Type: 2 x solid-state relay outputs suitable for driving DC solenoids or external relays. The outputs provide for one or two-stage control of the flow
- Switching Power: 200mA, 30Vdc maximum
- Saturation Voltage: 0.8Vdc across outputs when in the “on” state
- Isolation: Both outputs are separately isolated