Galvanic cell sensor
- 1. No technical expertise is necessary
- 2. Compact and lightweight
- 3. Outstanding performance with instant real-time measurement
- 4. Oxygen metre of intrinsically safe explosion-proof design
- 5. No electric power is necessary to operate the sensor
- 6. Low-priced oxygen meters are now a reality
A broad range of sensor types, suited for various kinds of oxygen meters, are available from GASTEC: firmly-installed types, portable or stationary ones, operating on the principle of diffusion or suction.
The measurement principle involves an electrolyte-soluble metal anode and an insoluble metal cathode that are immersed in the electrolyte. As the metal of the anode dissolves, it emits electrons that reach the cathode.
In the cathode, the oxygen penetrating the thin membrane film absorbs the electrons emitted by the anode. The flow (current) of this electron is proportional to the oxygen concentration penetrating the membrane film, and the oxygen concentration can be measured with a metre. Since the reaction occurs spontaneously, this sensor type requires no power source.